"Excited To Be Here" says Kohn
"I'm excited to be joining the Steelers, a great club with a great team" said new signing Dustin Kohn "I've played 4 years in the American league, some games in the NHL and two season’s in mainland Europe. Now it's time for England, I've heard nothing but good things about the club and the league and I can't wait"
Former Belfast Giant John Gleed and Steelers Steven Goertzen with influences behind Kohn's decision to ink a two year deal with the Steelers. "I know John well and play some summer hockey with Steven. I spoke with them both about the hockey and also about doubling up with the MBA course"
Kohn who also played with Drew Fata in Bridgeport has signed a two year contract with the club that will also see him study at Sheffield University Management School "it is going to be a busy couple of years balancing the two, the hockey and the school. I had heard about the possibility of schooling a few years ago and it interested me. I didn't know though if it was true you could do both. Then after speaking firstly with John Gleed and then Steve Goertzen I realised that there was a great opportunity for me.
"I have to make sure I am an excellent hockey player and good student I guess. Both roles are equally important. I've been impressed with both the Steelers organisation and the Sheffield University Management School in my dealings to date"
After four years in the AHL Kohn played in Sweden and Czech and expects a difference this season "well firstly it will be great to get back to an English speaking dressing room. I had good team mates both years in Europe but you can't have the same relationship with them as you can when the room speaks just one language.
"Also the hockey. From what I hear I am about to go back to playing a North American style though I am sure the skills I have learnt on the big rinks in Europe will help me as well"
Kohn hopes he will be able to contribute both offensively as well as patrolling the blue line "I think it's the biggest attribute of my game" he said "my ability to play in both ends of the rink. I am a good skater so I like to join is the play. I like to be involved all over the ice"
Dustin Kohn will make his home debut on Sunday 8th September at the Motorpoint (Sheffield) Arena against the Nottingham Panthers (face off 5.00pm) Tickets are on sale from the Arena Box Office: 0114 256 5656
- September 11, 2013The Coutdown to ICE Sheffield Opener Vs. Hull
- September 11, 2013Honest Galiardi Speaks to the STAR
- September 9, 2013Smith "More than Satisfied"
- September 10, 2013Steelers TV: Highlights of Sundays Game...
- September 9, 2013Steelers Sponsor Raises £6000 for Local...
- September 9, 2013Two Steelers Winners from Sunday
- September 9, 2013"I'm Proud of Spencer" says Christiansen
- September 8, 2013Doug Christiansen Speaks After Defeat to...
- September 8, 2013Steelers 1-4 Nottingham Panthers
- September 7, 2013AUDIO: Listen to Big Doug After Steelers...
- September 7, 2013Coventry Blaze 2-4 STEELERS
- September 5, 2013Stanley to Sponsor the Steelers