Steelers 1-2 Edinburgh Capitals
It was a night of surprises in the Elite league with both Sheffield and Belfast going down to the leagues bottom two sides, Fife and Edinburgh.
Whilst Belfast were being beaten in Fife 4-1 the Steelers went down 2-1 to the Cap's
Official EIHL Match report.
Sheffield Steelers 1 Edinburgh Capitals 2
Without a win on the road this season having lost all 13, Edinburgh produced one of the shocks this season as they went to title chasing Sheffield and came out on top by the odd goal in three.
Steelers had recent signings Simon Ferguson and ex Cardiff player Chris Frank in their line-up. However, they lost the services of another ex-Devil Tyler Michel with only 2.26 on the clock as he was ejected on a 5 plus game for checking to the head. Despite Sheffield being the dominant team in the first period the teams went in at the break at 0-0.
The visitors shocked the home support as Curtis Leinweber put them in front at 25.19 with a powerplay goal. The Capitals looked as though they were going to hold onto this slender lead at the second break. However, with 20 seconds remaining in the period there was relief all round as Matt Stephenson found the net to make it one apiece.
Despite Steelers getting back on level terms it was the Capitals who found the way to goal in the third period. And it turned out to be the game winner as Willie Nicolson scored at 53.46. With goaltender DeCaro pulled for the extra skater in the final minute the Caps held on to record a tremendous victory.
John DeCaro 6+8+8=22
Tomas Hiadlovsky 15+11+6=32
- October 23, 2014Tony Smith Message to Season Ticket Holders
- October 23, 2014"Stingrays Test A Tough One" says Hewitt
- October 23, 2014AUDIO: Gerad Adams Following the 6-2 Win...
- October 23, 2014"Fretter is a Very Good Hockey Player" says G
- October 22, 2014Sheffield Steelers 6-2 Edinburgh Capitals.
- October 17, 2014Box Office Information: Steelers Vs. Hull...
- October 22, 2014Great £25 Ticket Offer for Double Header...
- October 21, 2014O'Connor Set to Play
- October 21, 2014Steelers Duo Roy & Forney Lead the Way
- October 21, 2014Pascal Morency Update: Back on the Ice
- October 21, 2014Hicks in Charge on Wednesday
- October 21, 2014Kohn Showed He Won't Back Down says Tomo