Steelers 1-2 Edinburgh Capitals
It was a night of surprises in the Elite league with both Sheffield and Belfast going down to the leagues bottom two sides, Fife and Edinburgh.
Whilst Belfast were being beaten in Fife 4-1 the Steelers went down 2-1 to the Cap's
Official EIHL Match report.
Sheffield Steelers 1 Edinburgh Capitals 2
Without a win on the road this season having lost all 13, Edinburgh produced one of the shocks this season as they went to title chasing Sheffield and came out on top by the odd goal in three.
Steelers had recent signings Simon Ferguson and ex Cardiff player Chris Frank in their line-up. However, they lost the services of another ex-Devil Tyler Michel with only 2.26 on the clock as he was ejected on a 5 plus game for checking to the head. Despite Sheffield being the dominant team in the first period the teams went in at the break at 0-0.
The visitors shocked the home support as Curtis Leinweber put them in front at 25.19 with a powerplay goal. The Capitals looked as though they were going to hold onto this slender lead at the second break. However, with 20 seconds remaining in the period there was relief all round as Matt Stephenson found the net to make it one apiece.
Despite Steelers getting back on level terms it was the Capitals who found the way to goal in the third period. And it turned out to be the game winner as Willie Nicolson scored at 53.46. With goaltender DeCaro pulled for the extra skater in the final minute the Caps held on to record a tremendous victory.
John DeCaro 6+8+8=22
Tomas Hiadlovsky 15+11+6=32
- April 17, 2014Steelers at the Speedway Tonight
- April 15, 2014VIDEO: PLay Off Sunday:
- April 15, 2014AUDIO: Gerad Adams on Being Steelers Head...
- April 15, 2014AUDIO: Steelers Owner Tony Smith on Adams...
- April 15, 2014Steelers Sign Adams to a Two Year Contract
- April 14, 2014The Right Man says Jonathan Phillips
- April 14, 2014Huge Teddy Bear Sucess Thanks to Hall-Fast
- April 14, 2014Steelers Players Avoid GB Cut
- April 13, 2014Hill Scores Again But GB Go Down to Holland.
- April 13, 2014Steelers Stars Strike Again in GB Win
- April 11, 2014Sign G Neil Abel tells the Steelers
- April 11, 2014Belfast & Hull Change Coaches